Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Gori

I visited Gori after attending a TEFL conference there. It's a city of ~50,000 people, and the birthplace of the Man of Steel, Stalin.
The Stalin Museum
Stalin's childhood home
A recreation of the room Stalin was born in.
Stalin's train. Stalin was supposedly afraid of flying, so he traveled everywhere by train.
Stalin's bedroom in his train.
A Georgian joke: Why is Stalin the best Georgian? Because he killed the most Russians!
Young Stalin was pretty handsome.




Stalin's death mask
Gori Fortress. Gori was captured by General Pompeii in the 1st century B.C. This fortress was built to resist Mongol raids much later.
Uplistsikhe (The Fortress of the Lord), an ancient cave town near Gori. I forgot my camera, but I took some pictures with a friend's phone I'll post later; it was very cool, and completely abandoned, as was the Stalin Museum (winter definitely isn't tourist season here).

No comments:

Post a Comment